Mental Health Peer Coordinator (approx. 24 hours/week)
To provide networks of support and mentorship to urban Indigenous people under community supervision orders as they seek to improve mental health, reduce any harms associated with behaviors and avoid justice system recidivism.
- Diploma/degree in Social Work and two years experience working with Indigenous communities and understanding of the urban Indigenous community.
- A good understanding of the Indigenous culture in Bawaating/Sault Ste. Marie and area.
- Experience and an understanding of traditional sharing and talking circles
- Peer counselling experience for clients
- An understanding of wholistic approach to mental well-being
- Coordination skills – coordinating mentorship/substance use supports
- A good level of computer skills a must
- Data base experience
- Excellent communication skills, organization skills and knowledge of mental health, substance use and housing services and related areas needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To coordinate mentorship for urban Indigenous individuals as incarceration is exited particularly with regards to mental health/addictions concerns
- To assist clients under community supervision orders as needed in navigating the justice system
- To support and improve individual and family well-being and the ability to recognize and maintain healthy relationships
- To improve access to cultural knowledge and activities that foster self-respect and identity
- To improve mental well-being using strengths-based approaches to achieve a Good Mind
- Conduct and manage all intakes for the program
- Coordinate peer partners, team meetings and other Peer Support Programs within the community
- Ensure information flow is maintained and well-coordinated amongst colleague and supervisor
- Provide resourcing and referral information upon request.
- Clear CPIC/drivers license/reliable vehicle are requirements of the job
- Good local resource and agency knowledge is needed.
- Work as a part of a team
Deadline for applicants: August Wednesday, August 18th, 2021.
Send cover letter, resume and three employer references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.